What is ERP?
SYSPRO Defines the Meaning of ERP
As one of the longest standing ERP vendors, we often get asked “what is ERP?”
ERP is an industry acronym for Enterprise Resource Planning. Broadly speaking, ERP refers to automation and integration of a company’s core business to help them focus on effectiveness and simplified success.
The Information Technology industry is renowned for its adoption of acronyms, which are often widely used, but not fully understood. The term ‘ERP’ itself is not self-explanatory and refers to the business software that has been designed to record and manage your enterprise data.
An ERP system automates and integrates core business processes such as taking customer orders, scheduling operations, and keeping inventory records and financial data. ERP systems can drive huge improvements in the effectiveness of any organization by:
- Assisting you in defining your business processes and ensuring they are complied with throughout the supply chain
- Protecting your critical business data through well-defined roles and security access
- Enabling you to plan your work load based on existing orders and forecasts
- Providing you with the tools to give a high level of service to your customers
- Translating your data into decision making information